It’s gameday Irish fans. Make sure you leave a comment during the day with your score predictions, a limerick, keys to the game or just a Go Irish! Check back in during the game for live game chat with other Irish fans giving their own play-by-play reactions. Below are our keys to the game and a gameday limerick to enjoy.
Keys to the Game – How to tell how the day will go
Tonight’s game vs. Purdue will not be a game that Notre Dame will be able to just show up and win. Purdue may not be the most talented team that we play but like Navy they also come to play against Notre Dame. A victory against Notre Dame would make their year.
The Irish need to look at this game as another test to prove to themselves that they are a team that can improve to be a BCS candidate. If they do their jobs, today will be another game that is more about getting Notre Dame right than stopping Purdue. So here are our things to watch for during the game to gauge how things are going for the Irish football team.
- Let’s start with defense. The Purdue quarterback is on the run. The more pressure we can put on the Purdue QB the better.
- The Irish continue to be able to run the ball. The Irish offense is at its best when it keeps teams off balance. More on this in ‘The Bad’.
- A hold over from last week – Another QB package for a 1/2 a series. See the reason above and the fact that the Irish have invested the time in a package in practice – why not use it?
- If we turn one dimensional on offense. If we are unable to run the ball all the pressure will be on Rees and that is not a good thing yet at this stage in his development.
- Turnovers – We will beat Purdue if we don’t give them extra possessions. Period.
- We let Purdue start drives in our end of the field. This could be the result of turnovers or lousy special teams play. Either way, we don’t want it to happen.
Game day limerick time:
Boilers Up next for the Irish *toot* *toot*.
Ross-Aide Stadium fans will be mute.
Cause today the Irish roll,
into the end zone they’ll stroll,
inside em’, outside em’, just like Knute.
That is below and how good it is up to you! Let’s Go Irish!!